Monday, October 5, 2009

Criminal

As Fiona Apple would say "I've been a bad bad girl..."

I guess criminal is a little harsh, but I have been pretty liberal in my elevator usage the past few days. (Sat. Sun. and Mon.) Here is my review;

I've been really tired lately. I don't know if I am getting sick, or just not taking care of my body the way I should be. Really I think it is a combination of both.. I have been trying to stop drinking coffee and replace it with tea. I am wondering if that has anything to do with it... Which may just have to be my next sustainability commitment... Right now I will focus on stairs... (taking my own lesson I suppose)

The two times it is most challenging to motivate myself to use the stairs is when I have to go up 8 flights. The past three days I have caved in and used the elevator to go up. The stair way was being painted in one building so I couldn't use them to go down (I was secretly a little happy) But the rest of the time I have been using the stairs to go down always...

I have two conclusions at this point-

I am beginning to question the sustainability of my idea for a sustainable future- I would not say that I don't think that taking the stairs under 10 flights is unpractical YET but, I would say that I am starting to question comfort.

and if comfort begins to be the deciding factor then I am going to have to question if comfort levels can be changed. How many days/weeks/months/years do I need to go up 10 flights of stairs before I am comfortable doing it? Is it just a matter of building up muscles in the right spots that just get used to the climb? I would think so...*

*Those are the things I have been thinking about in the elevator-

On a slightly personal note..
How ever, in the stairwell this morning I had a thought about sustainability- and really the point of it all. Which I think is a really valid question to ask- Going beyond the thought of "Save the Environment!" "Its the right thing to do" "Preserve the earth for future generations" Etc. **Not to say that I don't agree with them** but, sometimes I have trouble just doing things for that reason...

Excuses if this seems cold, but eventually I have to have a personal reason for wanting to do it. I think to me it comes down to finding just a little piece of mind. Not just in the sense of feeling a little bit better about myself for lowering CO2 emissions... But more in the sense of taking back control of my life. As I take the stairs and move away from things that I did just out of habit I can feel myself waking up in a way. I notice the dynamic of my days are very different when I take the stairs as opposed to the elevator...Not to say that the elevator or stairs are the factor in the way my day goes- but- I notice there is difference... I'm still looking for the reason for that.

So, I'm still trying to hold true to my commitment and find the reason for the difference in my days!

Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment